This website ceased updating on March 19, 2012 and was archived on January 30, 2014. Links may be broken/misdirected and emails will not be replied to. Please use your best judgement when using this website. For more from the creator, visit AmandaPotter.com

Fierljeppen: the Video Game?

The Maastricht region doesn’t have nearly the number of canals we see in the North, but a post at A Famingo in Utrecht caught my eye and just had to be mentioned. The xtreme sport in question is fierljeppen, or canal jumping with a pole. Alison give an exciting description of this unique sport, so be sure to check out her post.

Image by uitdragerij via Flickr. Used under CC License.

Fierljeppen struck me as a sport that requires an incredible set of jumping and climbing skills, and one that ought to be use for the basis of some Wii-based casual game. Could you imagine “climbing” on the Wii-board while keeping your virtual pole straight as you vault over the water?  Totally weird, but totally fun. Nintendo, if you use the idea, you better be giving some royalties. ;)

I wonder if it’s possible to try this out somewhere. It could be a lot of fun.

Go Read Xtreme Dutch Sport.

Image by uitdragerij via Flickr. Used under CC License.

10 Responses to “Fierljeppen: the Video Game?”

1. Alison says:

Love the idea of a Wii version! Probably much safer in the long run, too. ;)

2. Invader_Stu says:

I work for a computer games company so I could try and make it happen ;)

3. Amanda says:

Maybe, but probably less fun too. ;)

4. Amanda says:

Really? Awesome! ;)

5. Alison says:

I think we should all go out and find some long poles and small ditches to practice on to get the real feel for it. For research sake! ;)

6. Dave Hampton says:

I know i’ll regret this…

Yes, there are such places, the fierljepcentrum, where you can take cursus in how to do it. An example is at http://www.fierljepcentrum.nl.

An american colleague wanted to try it, so the research group took him up to a center north of Arnhem. They gave him some instruction (Run as fast as you can, like you are running through the pole. Grab it as you go past, and as soon as you have a firm grip, start climbing as fast as you can, hand over hand, and let your legs swing to the other bank) and tuned him loose. He never made it across, getting roughly upright each time, then falling off the pole into the water / mud below.

I do have pictures.

Good fun, nobody hurt, do it on a hot day.

7. Amanda says:

Oh boy. Maybe I should start on smaller canals. ;-) At least water probably doesn’t hurt as much as landing on the ground.

8. Dave Hampton says:

THe American reality television show “The Amazing Race” had “Dutch Ditch Vaulting” as a challenge in episode 12.2. As I remember, everyone was truly horrible at it. One reviewer commented:

We may be evil, but we laughed at the Roadblock, which required a racer to partake in the Netherlands sport of ditch vaulting. Basically, it is pole vaulting but instead of going over a high bar, you must vault across a wide, muddy ditch. Much to our amusement, racer after racer, in unpredictably acrobatic ways, went down into the mud over and over again.

Can’t find the video, though…okay, back to work!

9. pieter says:

Actually there is a wii fierljeppen already.
    Check out wacky sports … Or something like that.
    It is a very poor game, surely it can be done better.
    Just ask some help from real fierljeppers durin development

10. Amanda says:

Seriously? I’ll have to take a look. :)