This website ceased updating on March 19, 2012 and was archived on January 30, 2014. Links may be broken/misdirected and emails will not be replied to. Please use your best judgement when using this website. For more from the creator, visit AmandaPotter.com

Vision 2.0

contact lenses

image is (cc) meddygarnet via Flickr

My glasses & contact lenses came in much sooner than I expected and after a period of instruction (and lots of false starts), I was able to see through contact lenses for the first time.

Completely surreal.

If you have 20/20 vision you probably can’t understand this, but the feeling of being able to see clear to the back of the adjacent store was phenomenal. The plates on the back shelf were clear enough to crisply gleam. I’m use to living in a fuzzy world. Plus there was none of the bending you get with glasses, which means my new, stronger prescription doesn’t make me dizzy with the contacts like it can with the new glasses.

After struggling on my own with the contacts for two days, it’s this sense of euphoria that I’m hanging on to to push myself through the trial period which I get use to putting them in. For all the difficulties they pose, and the fact that I think I look funny without glasses now, I’m hoping the contacts work out. Seeing with them is totally different than seeing with glasses.

All that isn’t to say that my glasses stink. In fact, I think the frames are pretty cute and the new prescription is right on the money; if quite a jump from my previous prescription. You can see an obnoxious close-up of my new glasses below:

What do you think?

Only time will tell if I decide to keep going with the contacts. Do you wear contacts or glasses? What’s your preference?

The contacts image by meddygarnet is license via Creative Commons.

11 Responses to “Vision 2.0”

1. bmallon says:

I have my new glasses. I’ve never had contacts because of all my allergies, but would love to wear them instead.

You’ll see them next time we skype.

2. Alison says:

I wear both, although I mainly use my glasses in the morning. I got glasses in fifth grade and contacts in ninth grade, so I’m well used to both now. The first few times I tried to take my contacts out or put them in were pretty stressful, but it gets much easier.

3. Judy says:

Contacts do get easier. I wear them from time to time, but to my mind they’re a bit of a pain and at the end of the day my eyes get noticeably puffy. I suppose they also get puffy when I wear glasses, I don’t notice that :-)

4. Amanda says:

Looking forward to it. :)

5. Amanda says:

I’m sure it’ll get easier. I figured out that the trick is not to look directly at the incoming contact. That makes me blink like crazy.

6. Amanda says:

Good point. I’ll have to watch for that, although to be fair I have no idea what my eyes look like without glasses these day. :P

7. Invader_Stu says:

I’m lucky. I don’t need them but my fiancĂ©e does. She’s tried contact lens but she is happier with glasses. For her they are also a part of who she is.

I like your new glasses by the way.

8. Amanda says:

I can understand feeling like glasses are part of who you are. That’s definately one of the downsides of contacts; I’m just use to how I look with glasses.

9. Star says:

I’ve worn contacts since I was 15 (that’s 18 years…yikes!!), and I love them. I only wear my glasses to walk to bed after taking out my contacts, and to walk to the bathroom in the morning to put my contacts back in. I remember struggling with them when I first got them. They get easier. I now put them in while holding a baby (or an angry 3-year old) or talking on the phone. It gets to be second nature and you don’t even have to think about it! I like your new glasses, but I’m anxious to see you without glasses! :)

10. Dave Hampton says:

I’m a Contacts person; I gave up full-time glasses in college when soft contacts first came out (I had very 60-ish wireframes (granny glasses?) before that). I still ahve glasses as backup (I;’m 20/300 so need some sort of correction) and use reading glasses now as well (sob).

Previously, I was unable to wear hard lenses, my pupils were too large for the lenses at the time, so I jumped at the new design. I did my PhD work on visual mechanics with custom-fitted scleral lenses, they go al the way around the front half of the eyeball, so soft lenses were a breeze!

I never have understood the passion for refractive corneal surgery: the risks seem to vastly outweigh the benefit of waking up with clear vision. I’ve always liked haiving the world a bit fuzzoy on waking. ‘Glad yours are working out so well; good luck with them!

11. Clarence says:

I got my prescription glasses just a few months ago. I’m not sure if I’ll do contact lenses, seems troublesome and painful! I will eventually progress to lasik I guess.